Center Panel

Monday, October 15, 2018

Cricut vs Cutting Dies

I believe I have mentioned how much I love Cricut Cutting Machines. And if not, let me say it now. One of the most useful ways I use my Cricut is to make layering cuts for card layers. Especially when I have to make multiple cuts for my card class. I also make frequent use of embellishments from the weekly freebies and cartridges that I own. And even single embellishments that I buy to perfectly complete a design. And since I don't have an abundance of sentiments I love, love, love the writing feature.
Having said all of that, I find it extremely hard to resist cutting dies! I was reminded of this when perusing offers from Paper Wishes, which is a company I frequently purchase from and seeing several dies I REALLY REALLY wanted. Although they are no longer producing weekly videos they have a large archive online of previous Webisodes. And it was these webisodes that increased my love of the ornate style of card making. Which brings me to the cutting dies dilemma.
As a retiree, I find myself quite limited in how much I spend on my crafting. So every purchase must be weighed carefully for need and usefulness. But I must admit that the one product that I find it hardest to resist is cutting dies.
So when I saw some dies that I found enticing I had to ask myself what draws me to them when I have a wonderful machine that can make similar cuts.
My first conclusion is that dies, especially the ornate dies, are frequently dimensional rather than flat. But on further reflection, I realized that I also like the immediacy of results when you can grab a die and a piece of cardstock and within seconds have an embellishment. In addition, you can use small and oddly shaped scraps to make the cuts. And lastly, even though the Cricut has been vastly improved to be able to make even the most intricate cuts cleanly and accurately, I still have visceral memories of ruined cuts and wasted paper trying to do these kinds of designs.
I would love to know what your relationship is with cutting dies. So please leave your thoughts in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment